-->

Saturday, June 24, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Lately it feels like I have blogged about, and done nothing online that wasn't related to, the demolitions of temples in Malaysia.

So here, a respite.

I found this picture of me, taken back in 2002, on my friend Danny Lim's website. It was taken at a reading at the National Art Gallery, Kuala Lumpur. I had just turned 17, and if I remember correctly it was only the 2nd or 3rd time I had performed my poetry for a public audience. This was also the only reading of mine that I ever invited both my parents to, and for that reason I think I remember which poems I read -- I had to choose them so carefully.

Shah Rukh Khan was shooting a film just outside the gallery that night. My sister (then age 12) went to see, and was disappointed that her request for an autograph was declined, albeit politely, because he was too exhausted. (Funny how people love retelling their Shah Rukh encounters. Someone else I know who once turned around in an elevator here in KL and discovered that the star shared the enclosed space with him can't get enough of recounting that story.)



And here, my friend Lara thinks she's really good with Windows' Paint. (Okay, okay, there's a passing resemblance. Grumblegrumble).

5 Comments:

Blogger Maryam said...

hmm..what month in 2002? I was still in Malaysia at that time...

p.s. I don't realllllllly see the resemblance but it's a cool portrait nonetheless. sometimes, its just fun to see how other people represent you when given the chance :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sharanya Manivannan said...

Maryam - It was August. I didn't give Lara the chance. She was next to me on a computer and decided to, um, have her way with me...

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Lara said...

Im still sitting next to you, and once again shall I take advantage....hmmmm now where did i keep the whip? muhahahahaha

1:21 PM  
Blogger bLitzKrieg said...

hey some really awesome stuff n insight on the temple demolition issue...the letter 2 PM was so touching.. seriously why cant all the countries in the world be secular?!...to each one's own belief!!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Irys said...

I'm disappointed with you, Lara. The portrait is obviously severely lacking in... *ahem* SOME areas... *winks*

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home